Council Minutes - June 2011

 

HALFORD PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes

Meeting held on 1st June 2011 at the Halford Bridge Inn at 7.30 p.m.
Meeting closed 8.55 p.m.
Present:
Cllrs Black (Chair) Liddell, Redhead and Rickards
County and District Councillor Izzi Seccombe
Clerk: Karen Parnell
12 members of the public

* To receive a presentation from Jenny Murray of Warwickshire County Council on the Localism Bill and its impact on parishes*
Jenny spoke about the future for the Decentralisation and Localism Bill, which is likely to impact on parish councils and communities. The ideology is to shift power from central government to a local level. Social enterprise was explained. Services may be delivered differently in the future. Standards committees may be abolished and there would be less 'red tape' in the future.
The planning process would change dramatically with Regional Spacial Strategies abolished and parishes having a greater input. There would be a right to veto council tax rises by petition.
A general power of competence would help to lift bureaucracy and communities would be empowered to deliver services, such as shops. Scrutiny would involve local people.
Social housing would be reformed by the community right to build and changes to homelessness legislation. There would also be a community right to challenge and community right to buy.
Committee structures within councils would be changed.
Jenny surmised the 'Big Society' is about collectivism; but she expressed some reservations notably about relying solely on volunteers. Results will be known this autumn.

Jenny promoted attendance at the Community Forum in Quinton on the 7th of June.

The chairman thanked Jenny for her presentation.

1. Apologies
Cllr Gale

2. Declaration of Interests Councillors are asked to declare personal interests in any items on the agenda. Councillors are reminded that the code of conduct that took effect from 5th June 2007 provides that should they have a prejudicial interest in any matter under discussion, they should withdraw from the room and not seek to influence a decision about the matter.
Cllr Black declared an interest in item 6.

3. Approval of minutes of meeting held on 4th May 2011
Minutes having been circulated were confirmed as an accurate record of the meeting held in May 2011 and were duly signed by the Chairman as such.

4. Democratic 15 minutes
There was huge concern expressed by many residents at the cuts to bus services effective from the 1st of June. Lack of consultation was also an issue. Bus timetable changes now mean there is a bus to Stratford daily, but no bus to Shipston. This means residents cannot get to the medical centre in Shipston and many other necessary facilities. Diverting the Stratford to Shipston bus is a consideration, as is greater use of the Link bus. Cllr Seccombe has raised the matter with Warwickshire County Council on behalf of residents. The Chairman of the PC will write in objection on behalf of the parish council but residents were advised to write independently objecting to this debilitating change. The relevant people to contact are:
Cllr Alan Cockburn (cllrcockburn@warwickshire.gov.uk)
Cllr Peter Butlin (cllrbutlin@warwickshire.gov.uk)
Paul Gallard (paulgallard@warwickshire.gov.uk) all at Shire Hall, Warwick
and the MP Nadhim Zahawi (nadhim.zahawi.mp@parliament.uk)
It was also suggested raising the matter at the forthcoming Community Forum.

It was noted that grass cutting in The Leys was substandard.

5. Matters arising
A) Drainage, highway Issues and village maintenance - Progress Report
Issues affecting the roundabout and drainage problems have been resolved.
White lines will be painted after surface dressing of the main road.

B) Fencing within Halford
Cllr Black is looking into the matter and will report to the July PC meeting.

C) Archive information searches regarding the website
Cllr Liddell continues to research and will report to the July PC meeting.

D) Consideration of signage for C road on Bell Hill
Stopping the road up is a consideration. Cllr Seccombe will research options and report to the July PC meeting.

E) Flower pots at Owl Corner
Cllr Redhead is pursuing this matter.

F) Bus service
Item addressed earlier in the meeting.

G) Possible request from Parish Council to occupiers of a village property to repair the verge opposite the property caused by building works.
This situation has now been satisfactorily resolved.

6. Planning
Application(s) reference: 11/01186/TREE
Proposed : - T1 : sycamore - fell
- T2 : eucalyptus - fell
- T2 : cypress : reduce to approx 2 m in height
At : Sykes House, Queen Street, Halford, Shipston-on-Stour CV36 5BT For : Mr C Black

7. Finance
Payments
Cheque No 100753 Karen Parnell 180.00 (Salary) 100754 Karen Parnell
11.70 (Expenses) 100755 Mark Dainty (Bus Shelter) 60.00 100756 Garden Aide 43.75

8. Correspondence:
To consider possible transfer of land from SDC to Halford PC - The PC expressed a possible interest but would need to know costs, notably as this has not been precepted for.
SDC Revisions to s106 agreements
Publicity re Community Forum on 7th June at Quinton Village Hall
Play area inspection report - Cllr Liddell to review
WRCC Identification of possible social housing location - Councillors to liaise and item to be brought back to the July PC meeting.

9. Date of next meeting: 6th July 2011 (Same venue)

Meeting closed: 8.55pm Signed: Chairman on 6th July 2011 Colin Black